Wednesday 16 November 2011

It all happens at once! 8th November 2011

Sunday night, straight after Downton Abbey had finished I began to start being sick. It quickly developed into being an every 20 mins vomit and diahorrea session that lasted all night until I took a metaclopramide tablet early Monday morning.

I knew it was a bug as my 2 yr old had been poorly with it the week before but it also felt very hyperemesisy too. I craved freezing cold ice things and fizzy water. I started to wonder if perhaps it wasn't all just a bug...

Martin (my husband), and I had decided to start trying for another baby in October as we thought perhaps it was best not to delay any longer. We are both getting older, me at 33, Martin 38 in a few days and we also didn't want our daughter, Gracie, to have too big an age gap between any sibling that may come along.

My first pregnancy had me hospitalised from week 5 with urine infection, kidney stone and severe Hyperemesis Gravidarum (although that wasn't diagnosed until much later on in the pregnancy) a year ago I had to have my gallbladder removed, due to side effects of HG. So as much as we both wanted to have another baby and grow our family we both understandably had reasons for putting it off.

Hyperemesis Gravidarum is the NHS's best kept secret. It affects many women, more than most realise. It is a condition in pregnancy, not something that is 'part' of pregnancy. So if I told you I had Gestational Diabetes or Pre Eclampsia you would all have heard of it, understand and sympathise. Hyperemesis Gravidarum or HG for short is a condition that is not even recognised by NICE the NHS's National Institue for Clinical Excellence that all Doctors, Midwifes and Hospitals abide by. But sadly it affects many many women and even ends up in some women terminating their babies because of it.

To complicate things further we have also decided to relocate from Cornwall to closer to London for my husbands work. So in September we put our house up for sale.
However, we thought everything was going to take time so we decided to start tying for a baby as who knows how long it would take. House selling or conceiving.

A week after I ovulated we had an offer made on our house, which we accepted. This morning I did a pregnancy test and it was positive! So I have phoned the doctor and he is writing the prescription for my pre emptive meds which I will start tonight. Following the success of my hyperemesis girlfriends, mainly Caitlin Dean (follow her blog here http://spewingmummy.blogspot.com ) I am feeling positive.

So tonight I start taking Cyclizine and Vitamin B6. With Metaclopramide as a top up when  I need it. The theory is the sooner the meds are in your system the more impact they can have. Canada have had great success with this www.helpher.org and so have some of the HG girls.

I hope this pregnancy is not worse than the last. I am feeling excited and positive about the chance to grow our family, I hope this joy doesn't get taken away from me too soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment